Accommodation and Food:
The Retreat Centre is the main accommodation for courses and retreats. (Sometimes volunteers are housed in the main farm house). Meals, bedding and hot showers are provided, as well as organic soaps. There is free wifi in the centre and a laundry service.
Meals are served in the communal eating area. They are mainly vegetarian, using fresh organic produce from our garden wherever possible. (Meat and fish options may be offered at times).
Those with restricted diets must inform us beforehand and you may have to bring some of your own food supplies.
Please see Retreat Centre page for more details on food, accommodation and the local area.
What to bring for courses:
- Good walking/working shoes and sandals (dirty boots to be kept outside of rooms).
- A Hat (NB!)
- Suncream (organic)
- Sunglasses if needed (it is often very bright and sunny here :)
- Practical working clothes for that season May-Oct: is mostly hot so you will want to protect yourself from getting burned, light clothes but long trousers and a long sleeved shirt are always useful Nov-Apr: colder months so good trousers and clothes to stay warm, a windbreaker or raincoat and warm pyjamas
- A water bottle, for having with you around the farm as you are working to stay hydrated
- Swimming gear (in warmer months May-Oct)
- A towel
- Notebook, pens, pencils, coloured pens, ruler etc
- A laptop or memory stick for exchanging data
- Gardening gloves (for the internship and volunteers)
- ONLY ORGANIC SHOWER PRODUCTS, shampoos, toothpaste etc - we supply organic soaps
- Any extra food items you may need (There are no shops nearby, esp if you are gluten intolerant)
- Bite cream, antihistamines, allergy creams where needed (there is lots of pollen, dust, some mosquitos etc)
- The desire to learn, contribute and be part of a fun team!
- Students, volunteers, staff and visitors are asked to be mindful of their environment while here on the farm - being respectful towards plants, animals and people
- Please do not use or bring any products which may contaminate or be harmful to our water or soil
- If driving onto the property please do so carefully as there may be people and animals about
- No pets!
- Students are not permitted to bring drugs or alcohol onto the property
- Smoking is ONLY allowed in designated areas (HIGH FIRE RISK!)
- Our nearest recycling/rubbish dump is 20 mins drive so please be aware of not bringing unnecesary packaging and garbage onto the site
- No operating of any heavy machinery or power tools without permission from staff
- Make sure you have the necessary travel/health insurance as La Loma Viva is not liable for any injuries incurred by you or illness
- A cancellation policy is applied to courses (see specific course info for details).
Any person who does not behave with respect towards our policies, to others or to the farm will be asked to leave without notice.
Directions to La Loma:
We are located about 3 km outside the village of Gualchos on the coast of Granada.
It is roughly 1.5hours drive from Malaga, Granada and Almeria. You will take the autovia del Mediterráneo ( A-7/N-340 highway) to Motril or Castell de Ferro and up to Gualchos from there. There is a 10 minute drive up a dirt track to the farm from the GR-5207 road.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when booking.
Airport transfers can also be arranged on request for a fee.
Public transport: Coming by bus
There is no public transport all the way to Gualchos, you will need to arrange to be collected in Castell de Ferro or Motril.
From Malaga Airport you can take a train into Malaga to the station Maria Zambrano (20mins) and get the bus from there - see http://www.alsa.es/rutas/malaga-almeria.htm for bus times and prices.
To Castell de Ferro - this is the closest bus station to us, about 15 mins drive. There are 2 buses daily from Malaga station - at 8:00am and 13:00pm. The bus takes 3 hours and costs 11.17€ one way.
To Motril - this is about 30mins drive from La Loma. There are buses approximately every 2 hours from Malaga and it takes around 2-2.5hrs and costs 9.15€
From Granada and Almeria there are also regular buses to Castell de Ferro and Motril, for these and other bus routes please see: www.alsa.es
We look forward to welcoming you to La Loma and trust that you will have a pleasant and productive experience here!