From Seed to Table - A Practical Food Production Course
23 - 30 September 2018 (Right after the PDC)
Join us for an exciting journey that takes you through the whole cycle of sustainably growing your own food.
We begin with how to save our own seeds, to creating fertile growing spaces and and move all the way through to planting, harvesting and food preservation. The course will be a blend of theory and practice - and we will definitely be outside with our hands in the earth and eating delicious seasonal food!
In this course we will learn how to grow our own nutritious, organic food in a way that also connects us to nature and regenerates our local ecosystem - promoting the health of both people and planet. We will explore the ways that even a small act, like growing some of our own food, can be life-supporting and powerfully positive for our own well-being and for all living systems. You will be encouraged by what can happen when we begin to shift from consumers to producers, becoming more self-reliant and resilient in a rapidly changing and uncertain world.
We guarantee a stimulating, informative and fun workshop that will provide you with the tools, inspiration and confidence to create a productive seed to table system.
Topics will include:
- Basic seed saving theory and practice- saving money and protecting seed diversity by creating living seed banks
- Planning and implementing a vegetable garden
- Using companion plants to create a thriving mini ecosystem
- Natural methods to increase soil fertility
- Planning your seasonal food production needs - using spreadsheets and garden calendars
- Propagating and reproducing plants from cuttings - creating a small nursery
- Food harvesting
- Creating delicious seasonal meals from the garden
- Preserving food - enjoying your amazing home grown products all year round
- Using the learning from the course to create a home business
- One week Practical course: 375€ - 6 days of theory and practical sessions on a beautiful Mediterranean farm
- Accommodation: 7 nights double room in retreat centre (20€ per night), fully catered organic food + organic soaps - 225€
- Or Camping Option: 7 nights bring your own camping gear (8€ per night), all organic meals and snacks, organic soaps - 155€
- Or Locals Option: If you live locally and just want lunch during the course each day - 70€
*Please email us for payment/bank details for this course as there are many payment options: "info(at)lalomaviva.com"
PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE OPTION
If you do the PDC & Practical Course together you save 100€ on the total price and you get one free night accommodation and food:
- PDC & Accommodation & Food = 1200€
- Practical Course & Accommodation & Food = 600€
- TOTAL: 2 Courses (PDC & Practical), 23 nights Accommodation & Food = 1700€ (100€ Discount on room + 1 Free night)
- Early Bird 1650€ if paid by 5 August 2018
- Early Bird Camping Option 1475€ if paid by 5 August 2018
About our Practical Courses:
We offer practical week courses to enable people to develop their skills and gain hands on experience. These fun-filled and educational trainings are a quick way to download many of the methods and techniques used in permaculture, so you can go out and do it yourself with confidence!
You will have the opportunity to practice and learn with experienced teachers. There will be short daily theory sessions to set the stage and a range of practical activities each day. This type of immersive learning will inspire you and allow you to apply your knowledge to your own projects with ease. You will also have plenty of opportunities to engage and have fun with others and experience all the things that form part of life on a permaculture farm.
We recommend that participants complete a PDC beforehand, as this provides the background knowledge to understand the practicals and a great way to get straight into action! Although these short courses are also good for those who are interested in Permaculture and would like to get a taste of it.
some of the activities we offer:
- Implementing food production systems: vegetable garden design: planning and layout, creating raised beds, mulching, companion planting, irrigation, windbreaks, support species
- Soil Fertility: compost methods, worm farms, liquid manures, cultivating indigenous micro-organisms (imo's), soil types and tests
- Water systems: rainwater harvesting, grey-water, earthworks and swales, constructed wetland systems
- Basic horticulture and nursery skills: plant propagation, making cuttings, identifying plant species (intuitive botany), soil mediums
- Seed Saving: collecting and storing seeds, growing plants for seed collection, conserving species, creating a seed business
- Food forests: plant selection, implementing a food forest, pruning, grafting, Syntropic Agroforestry
- Natural building: how to use earth and natural materials for building
- Animal systems: working productively with chickens and giving them optimum health
- Basic farm skills: carpentry, building things,
- Food preservation and natural medicine: fermenting, sun-drying, canning, nutrition, making tinctures and medicinal oils etc
- Creating a Permaculture project
- Nature Awareness: learning how to tune into the natural world, developing observation skills, awakening your senses
- Social permaculture and cultural emergence: learning more about how to apply these skills in the wider culture
We tailor the activities to the group's interests so you can choose which areas you would like to focus on.
Participants will enjoy delicious organic meals provided during your stay and experience the benefits of healthy eating (which are just as important as growing food) and supporting sustainable food producers - creating food security and promoting human health.